Purpose: We exist to bring Jesus to people and then build then into mature Christ followers.
We are an exciting church located just south of downtown Mt. Vernon, Texas at 319 South Kaufman. Our church includes people of all ages and spiritual maturity. Our services are casual and
designed to encourage and equip you for successful living. The services feature inspiring music and practical teaching from the word of God.
Over 160 years of hope, love and faith
passed on to generations
1849 Oct. 5, A small band of East Texas pioneers, led by missionary William M. Pickett, organized themselves as the New Libety Baptist Church and
worshiped in a log cabin built next to a creek, one-half mile east of the Franklin County Courthouse
1870 Former pastor Joshua F. Johnson served as a member of the 1861 Secession Convention in Austin. New Liberty Church reorganized as Mt. Vernon
Baptist Church. Services were held in a two-story building, formerly a school house and Masonic Hall at Miller Street.
1898 A growing congregation moved into a new building dedicated free of debt at $3,269, located just east of the former one on Miller St. It was
remodeled in 1935 and 1937.
1944-48 World War Ii years wer visionary as plans moved forward toward building a new facility – the one currently used on Kaufman St. In the midst
of war, members bought $42,000 worth of war bonds to be used later in financing the new church. Sentiments rose high in pioneer members when the 70 year old facility was torn down in order to use
lumber for the new structure.
1949 Dedication ceremonies formally ushered a growing congregation into the new building. The Optic Herald reported that :Almost everyone in Mt.
Vernon had some hand in building the church. Working at night, members donated thousands of dollars of labor in constructing and finishing the building.”
1950 The church continued to grow and space was added for office and
Eduational use, another addition built extended west.
1958 Brother J. E Whitt resigned after almost 24 years as pastor. A parsonage was built across the street from the church.
1980 Responding to a growing Hispanic population, the church began a ministry to Hispanics and hired a part-time preacher. Later the church
supported a Hispanic mission on Hwy 37.
1984 the church held two morning services to handle capacity crowds. In the spring, the church hired a Minister of Education, bringing the
ministerial staff to three; pastor, music and you and education minister.
1993 In January, Bro. Pepper Puryear accepted a call to be pastor. Puryear was preceeded by 37 different pastors who each made a special
contribution to the church Later that year, a new worship center ws erected to replace the old one.
1999 Using the theme, “God Still Moves”. Members hosted a celebration marking the church’s 150th anniversary.
2008 Construction is begun on major renovation of the present facilities and construction of a family life center and youth worship center. The
church voted to pay as you go. With a combination of volunteer labor and generous donations the facilities are expected to be finished in late 2009.